Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 1 is not spring, but it's a special day nonetheless.

I always look forward to one month changing to the next. I like the feeling of moving forward, of course, of getting that much closer to the end of the semester or to graduation or to the next big decision in my life or to warmer weather. But that's all a bit in the abstract. What I look forward to most specifically at the change of the month is...well, actually it's my paycheck. But next to my paycheck, what I look forward to most specifically is getting a new toothbrush.

I know that most normal people don't change their toothbrush every month. Some people are even hard-pressed to change their toothbrush every three months, as recommended by (I assume) the ADA (or at least every website that appears on the first few pages when you google the question, and that sounds nearly as authoritative to me as the ADA). I used to be one of those people, and I'm not entirely sure how and why I changed my mind. I think I just looked at my toothbrush one day and thought, Ugh. This has been in my mouth several times a day for three months. I wonder how many germs are residing in the bristles? And since then I haven't been able to go more than a month. Psychologically, one month is the time when all the germs multiply beyond endurable levels and brushing my teeth feels like it does more harm to my health and hygiene than good.

I'm not a hypochondriac or obsessive-compulsive or anything, really. Everyone has something they're overly particular about, and my something just happens to be monthly toothbrush replacement. The thing is, it's not just about the germiness or the ick-factor. I also like the structure of monthly toothbrush replacement. I don't have to remember how long I've had my toothbrush, or wonder if I've been using it past the ADA-approved level of toothbrush use. I just know that on the first day of a new month, I get to throw one toothbrush away and get out a brand new one. No thought required. And I love brushing my teeth with a new toothbrush. So I get to reignite that spark of romance every month (except with a toothbrush instead of a lover, which I imagine is not quite the same).

This month was extra special. Of my many spring break activities (which included such low-key but fun events as a Wii party, a temple/Denny's trip, a visit to the state capitol, an outing to the outlet mall, a handful of collective TV show viewings, the second session of a class I'm taking that I'll probably blog about soon, a couple outdoor runs, a few games of Speed Scrabble, and a good amount of cooking) was a trip to Costco with Jessica. I got some nice produce out of the trip, and a polish sausage, but the best part may have been my half of the six-pack of Oral B toothbrushes we bought with the coupon in her Costco mailer. Today, being March 1, was toothbrush-changing day for me, and though Jessica had already used and raved about her toothbrush, I didn't quite believe her until I tried mine. It was an absolutely incredible whole-mouth experience. I've always used pretty standard toothbrushes (seems like a good idea when you replace your brush once a month) and it never occurred to me that springing for a really nice toothbrush might actually be worth the extra money, until I had access to a coupon that ensured that I didn't really pay extra money at all.

So now I'm realizing that I don't actually have a lot to say in this blog entry. I guess this is sort of an "I don't want to go to bed because then it means spring break is over, and I needed something to write about, and I had just brushed my teeth" blog entry. Moral of this week's story: Changing your toothbrush is good. Changing your toothbrush every month is a little expensive, but less expensive and more innocuous than some habits. Also, brushing your teeth is good. But brushing your teeth obsessively is (apparently, I learned this week) not so good. All things in moderation.

And all good things must come to an end, so now it's time for me to put an official end to my spring break.

4 comments:

Kristin McElderry said...

I am sad break is over too :(

And I love new tooth brushes!

Abominable's Main Squeeze said...

So what kind of toothbrush did you buy that you like so much?

I had one (my traveling toothbrush) that was rough on the back of the brush head (not sure what the idea behind that was). It about drove me crazy every time I brushed my teeth on vacation. I managed to lose it on our last trip, I'm not totally sure where or how, but maybe it was subconsciously on purpose!

Jess said...

I don't change my toothbrush that often because I feel my mouth is immaculate. I hope this tooth brush turns out the be the best one ever. Happy March

Christa Jeanne said...

Wow, I feel inspired! I wonder how many of your friends will be busting out new toothbrushes now after reading this post. I know I will - woot woot!

Enjoy the new brush and the soon-to-come spring!