Friday, November 13, 2009

Experiment

I always try to put on my happy face in public forums like this. I've never really used my blog to vent. My blog has, for the most part, been a place to write, and to share the good things and the funny things and the thoughtful things that are on my mind or in my life. Sometimes I have expressed frustrations, but only when I feel capable of putting a positive spin on them.

But today I feel unhappy, and I have felt that way for much of the week. I don't like people worrying about me. I'll be fine. But sometimes when I feel unhappy I can isolate myself, and that is the worst possible thing to do. For one, it cuts off the people who are most likely to be able to help me out of my mood. But just as importantly, if I have learned anything in my life it is that reaching out to other people and removing the focus from myself is one of the most certain and direct ways to overcome whatever negative feelings I am feeling. But the times when I most need to do this are also the times when it's hardest to put forth the energy to reach out to others.

I have different ways of overcoming this. Sometimes life is great, but sometimes it's not, and you learn coping skills over the years. But this blog entry is something different. It's a request of my readers (all of you), and also sort of a social experiment. I'm going to ask you for something because I could really, really, really use it right now, and I am also going to promise something in return.

Here's my request. If you are reading this blog entry, I ask that sometime today (or whatever day you read this) you do two things. First, please send me a compliment or just some friendly words, in any form that you want - a comment on one of my blog posts (I'm going to turn off commenting on this particular post), an email or Facebook message, a word in person, even a text message. That would really help me get through the day and the weekend and hopefully have a better week next week. Second, more importantly, I ask that you go out of your way to do the exact same thing for at least one other person today. Send them a compliment or some friendly words that you wouldn't normally send them, in any form you want.

On my part, I promise to return the favor, today. By letting me know that you know me and care about me, you also give me the opportunity to do the same, and to remember how many people I know and care about as well. I don't know of anyone who reads this blog who I don't care about in some way. In addition, there are people I know of who don't read this blog who might need a boost today, or who I haven't talked to in a long time. There are a lot of people I care about, but never let them know. Today, instead of pushing those thoughts aside, I am going to say something.

And today I am going to have a good day.

[Let me also add for the record that I'm a little nervous about pressing the "publish" button. I don't want people to worry about me, nor do I want people to think I'm being selfish and fishing for compliments, and then ignore my request and think less of me. Those aren't my intentions. My intentions are to remind myself of all the people who are in my life even when, for a moment, I feel sad and lonely and alone. This is different from any blog entry I've ever written. I hope you take my request seriously. ]