Monday, April 13, 2009

Research Project (please vote on my poll!)

The reason I dedicated my last post to my brother was that, shortly after listening to my Follow That Bird soundtrack I Facestalked my brother and saw in his status update a call to his friends to come relive their childhoods and watch Follow That Bird at his place. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that we had unknowingly been sharing childhood nostalgia vibes across the 1,622 miles that separate Ann Arbor and Salt Lake City.

In fact, Follow That Bird is my personal archetype for childhood nostalgia, and when I talked to Eric yesterday he shared similar sentiments. When Follow That Bird finally made it to his apartment via his Netflix queue, he assumed that everyone who falls roughly into our age group would feel the same. Apparently this isn't the case. The term "blank stares" was used a couple times in the conversation. So we're curious. Of those of you who were both young enough and old enough to appreciate the movie, how many of you remember it as an important part of your childhood?

(The age range is just a suggestion, because I don't want my vote skewed by people who weren't likely to be influenced by the movie in the first place. But if you are, say, 24 years old and you loved the movie, then vote, by all means.)

4 comments:

Brian said...

It sounds like Follow That Bird is to you and your siblings what Muppets Take Manhattan is to my siblings and me.

Mike said...

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I secretly remember watching Follow That Bird and not liking it when I was a kid. Don't worry though, as I am not quite in your recommended voting age range, my negative view won't show up in your poll.

Richard said...

Anyone want a tossed salad?

(For those who have seen the film, no further explanation is needed. For those who haven't, none is possible.)

I absolutely love Follow That Bird. About a year ago, I found a copy on DVD and sent it to my parents, so they could start introducing their grandchildren to it. (I've also got The Muppets Take Manhattan for them.) It is absolutely essential for any young'un to watch and love.

And don't forget to sit for the Grouch Anthem.

Sara said...

I so love Follow that Bird - I can sing the "Grouch National Anthem" and "Ain't No Road Too Long." I mean was there ever a better Sesame Street movie made??