Monday, July 21, 2008

Looking for Recommendations

I've kind of been thinking about movies lately. I just got back from watching Batman, and if you haven't seen it yet, and if you haven't been reading the reviews, you should know that it is intense. I have to sleep on it before I can give my honest assessment, but I can share my initial thoughts. It was incredibly well done, and Heath Ledger as the Joker deserved all the credit reviewers have been giving him. However, the movie is also a barrage of senseless and seemingly unstoppable violence, so much that you begin to wonder if it can possibly end well (it does, or as well as can be expected). I left feeling just a little stunned, for both better and for worse. I think I am probably glad I saw it, but I also don't care to watch it, or anything like it, for a long time to come. I think there were some very interesting themes, about good and evil and the choices we all make. But I'm not entirely sure it's necessary to address them using such extremes, or even if that's the most effective way to address such difficult themes in a way that the audience can really relate to.

But one reason this is on my mind is because I've also been thinking about what makes a good movie. There are a lot of movies out there that I think are just fluff. I watch movies to be entertained, but sometimes I feel like the couple hours I spend watching could have been much better spent doing other things. I really like it when I can walk out of a movie and think, wow, that was really good. And yet I've noticed that a lot of my most recent wow-that-was-really-good experiences have had their fair share of unpleasantness. Some of the movies that have most deeply impressed me recently have been Pan's Labyrinth, United 93, and even Sweeney Todd (which I saw with Ashley awhile back). These are not easy movies to watch, and part of me really feels like I ought not to expose myself to too much of that kind of unpleasantness. And yet I walk away from these movies really thinking, in a way that, say, Horton Hears a Who or Made of Honor certainly didn't get me to think (those two movies were not wastes of time only because of the company I was with). Even WALL-E disappointed me a bit.

I can certainly appreciate Napoleon Dynamite or Elf or Zoolander or Enchanted in the right setting, or with the right people. And it's not like I watch movies just hoping to be blown away - sometimes I just want easy entertainment, and sometimes I get exactly what I'm looking for. It's just that sometimes I also want a little more than that, without feeling oppressed, or having to concentrate too hard. It's easy to fall into watching things that I might not otherwise been willing to see when I don't get much fulfillment out of the standard movie fare (excluding weekly movie excursions with my sister in which almost any movie was entertaining by virtue of the company), and I kind of want to get away from falling into that. I also want to be reassured that it is possible for good, thoughtful movies to be made without adding content that bumps the rating up to R.

So what I have been really interested in lately is movies that make me feel like I have not wasted my time and uplift me, and I'm looking for suggestions too. They are out there (and I do think that some of the movies I've mentioned already, like Pan's Labyrinth and United 93 very definitely had redeeming, uplifting value, don't get me wrong). A month or two ago I rented Lars and the Real Girl which was funny and sweet and different, and I really liked it. E.T. is a classic that is one of my favorites - I remember watching it as a kid, and then I came back to it years later as an adult and realized what an incredibly well-done movie it actually is. The other night we watched Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train at Brady's place, and while it was intense, it had a gratifyingly happy ending of the sort you could get away with years ago in a way that you can't today. Even some of your summer blockbusters can be clever and thoughtful and well-done, I just miss them because I don't hear enough about them from trusted sources.

The kind of movies that I'm looking for do exist, I know it. It's just hard for me to find them on my own sometimes, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know. (Though no guarantees that I'll actually getting around to watching them anytime soon, because supposedly I'm doing other productive things with my everyday life...)

6 comments:

Richard said...

Asking "What makes a good movie" is like asking "What makes a good book". The answer is as varied as the people who ask it.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that were clearly a labor of love to produce, such as Gettysburg, or The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (an amazing send up of old 50s sci-fi movies), or Don Juan de Marco. They are true works of art, and just seeing the amount of care put into them is uplifting.

One movie I saw a couple of months ago that was uplifting for a different reason was the documentary Young at Heart. If you get the chance, it's worth it.

But then, I've always believed that you need a good mix of movies, just like you need a good mix of books. Sometimes, you just need something mindless (like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Other times, you want things with more meaning (like The Chronicles of Narnia).

Each one can be good, but in a different way.

Abominable's Main Squeeze said...

I agree with Richard.

I myself find that I don't enjoy or go to many movies anymore (except with my disabled friend who doesn't go if someone doesn't take her). It seems that too many movies these days are more centered on the special effects, sacrificing the storyline, suspense and imagination. Some, like Wall-E, seem more concerned with getting their message out than with telling a good story.

I, more and more, like movies from the past, where you actually had to use your imagination. I remember one morning when dad and I turned on the TV for a few minutes and got completely caught up in "The Spiral Staircase." No blood and gore or any other violence, but boy our imaginations filled in all the blanks. We hadn't meant to spend two hours watching a movie, but...

Arsenic and Old Lace is one of the funniest movies out there as you know. Any Alfred Hitchcock, The Bad Seed, Sorry, Wrong Number, etc. will keep you on the edge of your seat and stay with you long after. By the way, they always seem to have a good ending. The good guys win and the bad guys lose. I like that. Life gives me enough reality, thank you very much. The Long Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz is little known and hysterically funny! Etc. etc. etc.

Faceless Ghost said...

I'm surprised you didn't mention The Whale Rider and In America--don't both of those meet your criteria?

Amy said...

Well, I certainly never said I was giving a comprehensive list - I've seen lots of movies that meet my criteria. And yeah, In America and Whale Rider definitely rank high up there.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, and keep them coming :)

Jess said...

Remember all the socioeconomic and racial themes in Napoleon dynamite. I can't believe you put it in the frivolous movie category. It is especially compelling when watched in Spanish:)

KMDuff said...

The Ultimate Gift is cheesy, but uplifting and inspiring I think.

Amazing Grace is very inspiring, though they simplified history for movie purposes which is always offputting for me. But it is a good movie.