Sunday, August 17, 2008

For your daily laugh

"People are not playing the game to get drunk but because they love the challenge of throwing a table-tennis ball into a cup with some type of liquid in it. " --Billy Gaines, host of the World Series of Beer Pong, arguing that beer pong is not a drinking game, but a sport.

When I lived on the other side of campus, I would walk past lots of undergraduate housing, and on Monday mornings, almost without fail, I would pass several yards with tables littered with large red plastic cups. That, and teaching undergraduate math education majors, is how I learned about beer pong (for obvious reasons I have never experienced it myself, though "root beer pong" was featured at one of our institute activities about a year ago).

Anyway, there was an article about beer pong in a recent Time magazine, and the quote above struck me as really, really funny. Partly because I'm pretty sure he was serious.

No comments: