Monday, June 30, 2008

Shiny Happy Bloggers

There was a little blurb in Newsweek this week suggesting that bloggers may be happier than non-bloggers. They say it's because blogging is therapeutic.
Mental-health experts say blogs are a step up from plain old diaries, chiefly because of the built-in audience. As kids, we learn that if we air our problems, we get help. We associate communication with consolation, particularly when the going gets tough. Blogging fulfills that primal need for sympathy. "Writing is an effort of the brain to communicate for comfort," says Harvard neurologist Alice Flaherty. "Diaries are a form of that communication, but removed. Blogging gets you closer to that sympathetic audience, and that's what makes it therapeutic."
Kind of interesting. Sometimes I think that my journal-writing has suffered since I started my blog, and other times I think that my blog is what has saved my journal-writing. Whatever the case may be, my blog-writing and my journal-writing are qualitatively different. In fact, my first reaction on reading the little Newsweek blurb was to think that my journal-writing (which tends to be more of my thoughts and philosophizing) is far more therapeutic than my blogging (which still tends towards philosophizing, but is much more centered on just "reporting out" to friends and family). It's not like I bare my soul that much on my blog.

But on second thought, there's something to be said for that two-way communication that Newsweek was talking about. On my blog, I think through things more because there is an audience, and so blog-writing is at least a little productive, rather than just simple venting on paper. And last week during my terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad week* I think blogging was very therapeutic. The first thing I thought every time something else happened was not, "woe is me! why does the universe hate me so?" but, "wow, I'll bet I could make a great blog out of this!" Blogging about my car, for instance, turned out to be much more healthy than writing about it in my journal partly because I got surprisingly rapid and sympathetic responses from friends and family, which was what I needed even if I didn't realize it (the universe may hate me, but at least there are some people who don't!), and partly because wallowing in my misfortunes in public actually turned my attention from my wallowing to how I could make my misfortunes entertaining to the masses. And when my misfortunes became entertaining, they were no longer quite as dreadful.

So yeah, I guess blogging is therapeutic, even if I don't bare my deepest darkest secrets. Those I still reserve for my journal, so it won't feel left out.

*If you didn't catch that reference, then I'm sorry. You had a deprived childhood.

6 comments:

Jason said...

You raise some good points about "blog therapy". I think just writing about something helps me to better process the event, not to mention the fact that I work harder to articulate myself knowing that friends will be reading it. I don't want to subject my friends to bad grammar and half baked ideas if I can help it - friends don't do that to friends ;)

Abominable's Main Squeeze said...

Hey, I like the new look!

Your blogs are therapeutic to others too. I really look forward to them.

I'm glad your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week is finally over!! (And you didn't even have to move to Australia.)

Faceless Ghost said...

You woke up with gum in your hair?

Elizabeth Downie said...

I like your new picture! That looks like the park by my work (and your old apartment) - is it? The park on Madison? I like the blog - it's true, there really is something therapeutic about blogging. :)

Katherine said...

Ditto to what you said about trying to entertain the masses with your misfortunes rather than just venting! So true! Ah, blogs.

Amy said...

Elizabeth - yes, that's the park on Madison :). I found in some of my old pictures from when I lived on that end of town, and while I still haven't found the perfect wallpaper for my blog, the photo just worked for me.