Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Score another one for running

For all the health benefits that come from exercise, the outlook isn't 100% positive. I sometimes get this vibe from certain unnamed members of the family that they expect all the running I do to eventually take its toll on my knees and drive me to cycling (though everything I read from completely un-runner-biased sources like Runner's World suggests that this is a major running myth). So I feel some small satisfaction in reading a higher risk of back problems is created by participation in almost any sport - tennis, football, gymnastics, rowing, cycling...about everything except running. So there.

Not that I rejoice in other peoples' higher risk of back problems, and especially not their current back problems. I just feel the need to defend my sport.

5 comments:

Faceless Ghost said...

Yeah, but there seems to be more of history of knee problems in our family. Genetic disposition?

Like it or not, you'll wind up on a bike--it is your destiny (evil laugh).

Abominable Snowman said...

Back, knees, ankles,..... Why do these all hurt? I am too young to feel this way!!

Melanie said...

I rejoice in other people's higher risk of back problems. It is my favorite past time

Trueblat said...

I'm actually running into a little bit of knee problems preparing for my first half marathon which happens in a month.

For me though, I'm pretty sure it's that I still had my running shoes from 1999. I have since replaced them, but still slowly working my way back up to what I was running before.

KMDuff said...

Running is the best sport b/c its cheaper than biking. JMO. :)

Finally went to the foot doctor today and got orthotics for my foot. hopefully I'll be run/walking again in a month or two.

Back problems are way worse than knee problems IMO again. :)