Wednesday, January 19, 2005

M&M's

I bought a dollar’s worth of Valentine M&M’s at the Bookstore yesterday and I swear they taste different than regular M&M’s. Growing up, I could always tell the difference when I ate Easter M&M’s as well, but Christmas and Halloween M&M’s have always seemed normal to me. Maybe it’s the pastel colors…probably it’s all psychological.

Last year I started noticing how people eat their M&M's, and it was pretty interesting. The first time I noticed it was when I was sitting with a group of other students around a table with a bowl of M&M's in the middle. No one would just grab a handful of M&M's and pop them into their mouth. Instead, they would carefully arrange them by color on the table before actually eating them. Some simply divided them into different-colored piles (that's generally my method) while others created intricate patterns and then destroyed the pattern one M&M at a time. It was fascinating, and I have begun to notice the M&M phenomenon in other settings as well.

I really didn’t need a dollar’s worth of M&M’s yesterday, because I know I will eat them all (though not in one day, of course). I keep vowing that I’m going to develop healthier eating habits. I doesn't seem like it should be too hard—I already do quite well (most of the time) at eating my 5-a-day fruits and veggies, choosing whole grains over refined flours, avoiding soda and greasy snack foods, ordering healthy choices when I eat out. Running has made me very conscious of how different foods affect my energy level and my overall feeling of well-being. But unfortunately I have a horrible sweet tooth. My dad and brother suffer from this as well, and my grandmother claims that all the cousins have inherited our chocolate addictions from our grandfather. Honestly, I don’t think I go a single day without eating some form of chocolate or another, and at the very least I get my daily sugar fix.

The funny thing is that I pretend to control my addiction by avoiding certain products, but it’s only a cover-up. I will not buy cookies at the store, but I will make cookies every other week (sometimes more) and consume my daily caloric needs in cookie dough. I never buy entire candy bars, and if someone gives me one I tend not to eat it. But I will buy candy in bulk from the Bookstore where it’s easy to down an entire package-worth of M&M’s without consciously acknowledging that I have just downed an entire package-worth. I will rarely cut myself an entire slice of cake to consume in one sitting, but if there is extra birthday cake lying around the apartment I will cut myself enough little mini-slices throughout the day that I might as well have just eaten a whole piece.

Fortunately I have an active lifestyle and have inherited a good metabolism, so it’s not something I really need to worry about it. But that doesn’t stop me from feeling guilty (just slightly) every time I succumb to temptation…which is pretty much on a daily basis! Oh well...to give up an addiction you have to want to give it up, and quite honestly I like M&M's too much to even think about removing them from my diet.

4 comments:

azurerocket said...

I always thought holiday M&Ms tasted different, too. And I'm a patter-maker M&Ms eater. :)

Christie C said...

Now I'm going to get self-conscious the next time I eat M&Ms... I think I might eat them both ways. (And if there's no flat surface in front of me, I just throw them in my mouth, handfuls at a time, ::oink oink::) Perhaps you should come up with a personality test based on how you eat M&Ms. :)

Cookie dough is SO good. My sister came over last Saturday and we ate so much cookie dough that by the time the first batch of cookies had been baked, we couldn't eat any, we were so sick from the dough. But it tastes SO good...

azurerocket said...

I don't usually think in words unless I'm thinking about conversation, but I do talk to myself sometimes. I'm sure somebody's done studies about whether people think in words or not. It would be interesting to learn any results from studies like that.

azurerocket said...

Gosh, I'm dumb. That was supposed to go on the newer post. I guess maybe thinking not in words is more primitive.